Thursday, May 16, 2013

Creating a Meaningful Life

If you haven't noticed lately, the world we live in is draining!  We rush through our days with barely a moment of sanity.  In a conversation I had with a colleague the other day, I found myself saying--"just send a text...it's so much quicker than email."  As I walked away from this conversation I thought about what I'd said and thought "really?  When did our world become so fast paced that email is now too slow?"
Even if you hate the pace of the world, you get caught up in it.  You feel like you're not doing enough unless every moment is filled with activity.  And not just one activity, we multitask!  We read email while on the phone or in meetings.  We make lists while sitting in class.  We text and talk on the phone while driving (even though we know we shouldn't).  We think of what we still need to do while talking to others.  We wear our busyness like a badge of honor and good manners have gone out the window!
The effect of all of this is draining...body, soul and spirit. And when we are drained we are vulnerable!  Vulnerable first to temptation.  Isn't it somewhere in the mid-afternoon slump when you most easily turn to crud you normally don't eat?  For me, it's when I'm fried at the end of a frantic day when I loose my patience with my kids and snap at my spouse.  I find that when my soul is empty, I'm open to any kind of relief.  And that is always the moment my "gremlins" step forward offering momentary comfort.  I don't give way to despair when I'm having an awesome day, I fold when I'm at my ropes end.  I don't drop my guard right after a wonderful time of worship and meditation; I drop my guard when I am just too tired to care.  It is when I am drained that I get overwhelmed, worn down and turn on myself and others or simply retreat. 
But I don't want to live with life ahead of me and me just running to catch up.  I don't want to give my soul over to busyness.  I don't want to fold under discouragement or any other lie I fall prey to.  So how do we get out in front of our lives?  How do we mindfully create a life of meaning?  Here are some things I've been doing that I find make a difference.
1.  Get some measure of silence and solitude every day.  Even just 15 minutes makes a difference.  For me, this requires stopping and paying attention. 
2.  Take in truth.  We live in a world where things are not always as they seem.  It is refreshing to my soul and my spirit to hear and recognize truth.  Notice I didn't say this is easy.  It isn't always easy, but it is replenishing.
3.  Connecting with God/Higher Power.  Pray, meditate, talk out loud....whatever works for you.  Simply get connected with God asking to be filled with His love and strength throughout the day.
4.   Decrease the constant stimulus of media.  Whether that's driving without the radio or anything on, turning off email notifications, silencing the cell phone and not answering every text or call at the time it comes. 
5.  Look for God's love or His hand in my life everyday.  I don't believe in coincidence or luck.  I believe it's God's love.  God made the world for the delight of us--His children.  Take the time to see His goodness everywhere, His concern for us, His awareness of our needs.  As we open and connect with the world around us, we are also able to connect to a larger life purpose...one in which we have a role.  We may not understand that role, but we can begin to live it.  We begin to trust that good things will come to us as part of our relationship with a Higher Power and with others who have earned that place in our lives, and that trust brings comfort. 
6. Choose love.  One of the most spiritual things we can do is embrace our humanity--our struggles and imperfections--and allow others to do the same. 
7.  Find something to smile about, laugh about or be grateful for everyday.  As E.E. Cummings said:  The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  There are plenty of things to be serious about, sad about, stressed about.  We need to make sure to make room for smiling, laughing and gratitude.
8.  Drink in beauty in some form everyday.  Get open to the beauty in the world around you, the sounds, the sights, the smells....the beauty.  When I do this, I'm not focused on the past or the future.  I'm not focused on work.  Anxiety begins to drop away.  I see and touch and smell and hear creation.  I might notice the light coming through the trees.  I might notice the breeze on my skin.  I might notice the sound of birds or the touch of human skin.  I might notice the smell of fresh cut grass.  I notice colors, the textures.  Take them in!  Allow them to penetrate to your soul. 
9.  Connect with people that are important.  Say I love you, I'm sorry, I'm proud of you, you're important to me, I appreciate you.  Whatever it is that you're feeling....embrace your truth and speak it!  Share it!
10.  Live in the now, the present, the moment.  Sometimes we get hung up on nostalgia.  We talk about the "good ole days".  We think that yesterday was better than today.  I don't think it was.  I would advise, from my own personal experience, not to wait 10 years before admitting today is great! 

Remember at the end of the day, it's all about love.  Hang in there.  Spread love!

No comments:

Post a Comment